Not all essential oils are created equally
Many of us are very careful about what we put in our bodies, knowing that "you are what you eat." Yet, we may not think about all of the other ways that we allow harmful toxins to enter our bodies.
Sometimes people don't consider that everything you put on your skin will also be absorbed into the body. Many essential oils on the market and many cosmetic and skin care products that claim to contain essential oils may have on their labels the terms "natural" or "100% pure" or even "therapeutic". The fact is that they often use fragrant synthetic chemical substitutes to dilute or replace the pure essential oil. Because there is no regulation on this, they can write "therapeutic" or "100% pure" when there may only be 3% of the pure essential oil present. Crazy, huh?
Are these oils cheaper? Most likely, yes. Cheaper in every way. You get what you pay for. And part of what you are paying for with doTerra's oils is the guarantee that from farm to bottle, the entire process is "pono".
When I remember to do so, I like to take a moment of gratitude before a meal or before using an essential oil. During this moment of gratitude, I give thanks to everyone and everything that contributed to this food or this oil ending up with me. Let's take a look at what that means in terms of doTerra's essential oils:
1. indigenous sourcing: doTerra works with farmers all around the world in such a sustainable and fair trade way. Because of their gratitude toward doTerra and all the company is doing for their families and their communities, the farmers put a lot of love into their cultivation of the plants. Personally, I believe that this can be sensed in the end product.
Absolutely no chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, or toxic fertilizers are used. doTerra sources the plants where they are grown indigenously, where the soil and climate produce a plant with the most therapeutic properties possible.
2. harvesting: The farmers are experts at harvesting at the right time of day, the right time of year, and in the right way to ensure that the most therapeutic benefit will be derived.
3. processing: doTerra uses a steam distillation process and the scientists are very precise about the exact temperature and pressure required for each individual plant.
4. testing: One of the main things that sets doTerra's oils apart from other essential oil brands on the market is the extensive testing that they do on each and every liter of oils. Ten different tests, done in independent labs, guarantee that there is absolutely nothing in the bottle that is not the essential oil of the plant - no pesticides, herbicides, synthetics, fillers, solvents or chemicals of any kind. If even a speck of dust is found in a batch, that batch will not be sold.
There are also tests to verify that the therapeutic constituents are consistently present in the ratio they have found to produce the most potent therapeutic benefits. This is important when you are counting on your essential oil for desired effects.
5. bottling: There are no fillers or dilution that would reduce the therapeutic benefits of the oils.
Many other companies do not follow this rigorous process and fail in one or more of these categories to uphold the dedication to purity and potency that doTerra distinguishes itself for. Because of this, these other brands' oils may be cheaper, but they are also inferior in quality and will not provide you with the therapeutic benefits to the same extent.
While doTerra uses a very sophisticated steam distillation process to extract the essential oil from the plant material, many companies utilize a much cheaper method of extraction using solvents, residues of which could be toxic and could be left behind in the essential oil. Even they may not be aware of this because they may only test their oils once a year.
When people burn "aromatherapy" candles, or diffuse oils that may still contain solvents used in the extraction process, synthetic fillers, or even pesticides, those substances are being inhaled and can have very harmful effects on the respiratory system as well as other negative effects in the body.
doTerra has created a new industry standard, Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG). Their essential oils are 100% pure natural aromatic compounds, carefully extracted from plants. They do not contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities. They are guaranteed to be 100% pure and natural and free of synthetic compounds or contaminants.
In addition to being 100% pure and natural, these essential oils are subjected to further quality testing that ensures the composition of the active natural compounds found in each oil and helps to maintain consistency from batch to batch. Even though an essential oil may be 100% pure, if the right species or part of a plant has not been used, or if the plant has not been grown in the right environment, or harvested at the right time, or if it has not been distilled under the right conditions, the natural chemical makeup of the extraction will not provide as predictable and powerful a benefit, and in some cases, the wrong plant harvested at the wrong time may result in an extract that contains harmful levels of some constituents. Without rigorous testing, other companies may not be aware when this happens.
The testing begins immediately after distillation with each oil being reviewed for its chemical composition. A second round of testing is carried out to ensure that what was distilled and tested is the same essential oil that was received. A third review of the chemistry of the oil is conducted in a three-phase procedure as the oils are packaged into the bottles that are then shipped to consumers. Each of these tests confirms that the essential oil is free of contaminants and unexpected alterations during production.
The supplemental facts box right on the label of many of the oils and blends tells us that they are safe even for internal use.
doTerra's Therapeutic Grade essential oils represent the safest and most beneficial essential oils available on the market today.
Please visit www.sourcetoyou.com to learn more about doTerra's unequaled standard of quality.